Kansas Continuing Education Requirements

Insurance Continuing Education Provider Number:   3056

The Basics

All Life/Health and Property/Casualty producers must complete

  • 18 hours including 3 hours of ethics, are required every 2 year license term.  See below for important details.

Life and Health Producers

Annuity Training

Effective January 1, 2024:   All producers currently licensed to sell, solicit, and negotiate annuity products must complete a one-time Annuity Best Interest course approved for at least 4 hours. All producers must complete this training prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating annuities.  Licensees who have already completed a 4-hour annuity course prior to 12/31/2023 may complete a 1-hour Annuity Best Interest course by 6/30/2024 or complete the new 4-hour Annuity Best Interest course.   If the 1-hour course is not completed by 6/30/2024, the producer will be required to take a 4-hour Annuity Best Interest course before resuming the sale of annuity products.

Residents and non-residents who have completed this training in another state with laws similar to Kansas’ law will be compliant with the requirement.


Long-Term Care Partnership (LTCP)

Initial 4-hour LTCP training requirement: All Kansas producers who sell, solicit, or negotiate LTC partnership policies must complete 4 hours of state-approved Kansas LTCP training. Producers may take any NAIC approved LTC course for use in any licensed state.

Ongoing 1-hour LTCP training requirement: After completing the 4-hour initial training requirement, LTCP producers must complete 1 hour of state-approved Kansas LTCP training each 2-year license term thereafter. Producers may take any NAIC approved LTC course for use in any licensed state.

Property and Casualty Producers

Flood Insurance

All Kansas producers authorized to sell flood insurance must complete a one-time 3-hour course approved for National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) training.

Life/Health and Property/Casualty (combined license) Producers

All producers selling annuities, long-term care or flood insurance are required to complete the courses discussed above.

Crop Only Producers

Crop only producers are only required to complete 2 hours of continuing education every 2 year license term.

Title Only Producers

Crop only producers are only required to complete 4 hours of continuing education every 2 year license term.

Public Adjusters

Public adjusters are required to complete 12 CE hours, including 1 hour of ethics, are required every 2 year license term. 

Pre-Need Only Producers

Resident Pre-Need producers who hold a pre-need only license do not have a continuing education requirement. However, such producers will need to affirm and provide certification from an officer of each insurance company that has appointed the producer that shows you have transacted no other insurance business during your renewal period.. See CE Subject Requirements below.

Nonresident CE Requirements

Nonresident producers selling, soliciting, or negotiating LTC products are required to complete the same special training/education requirements for Long-Term Care Partnership (LTCP) as resident producers selling these products

Nonresident producers must renew online at www.nipr.com or send a $50 license fee by the renewal date to the Kansas Insurance Commissioner. Certification letters from the home state are not required due to license status verification through the PDB as proof of CE compliance.

License Term

The producers license term is every 2 years, based on the producer’s date of birth by the last day of their birth month, in an even or odd year, depending on whether the producer was born in an even or odd year. Producers born in an even-numbered year are required to complete their CE in even-numbered years. Producers born in an odd-numbered year are required to complete their CE in odd-numbered years.

*New* The public adjusters license term is every 2 years, based on the adjuster’s date of birth. Adjusters born in odd-numbered years will renew every odd-numbered year beginning with the biennium ending in 2011. Adjusters born in even-numbered years will renew every even-numbered year beginning with the biennium ending in 2012.

CE Subject Requirements

Category restrictions

*No more than 3 CE credits can be completed by a producer in the area of insurance agency management.

Course presentation

Producers may complete the Kansas CE requirements through self-study. The self-study course and exam can be either paper or online.

Study requirements

Paper: The student must read the course material prior to taking the proctored final exam.

Online: Students must read the course material and answer each set of end-of-chapter quizzes with a score of 70 percentprior to taking a closed-book final exam.

Exam proctor requirements

Resident producer self-study type continuing education courses will no longer require a proctor for the exam portion.

Exam rules

The final exam is closed book, and no outside information may be used to complete the exam. The final exam must be passed with a grade of 70 percent or higher to receive credit. If the final exam is not passed on the first attempt, students have an unlimited number of retakes.

CE Carryover Allowance

Excess CE hours are not allowed to be carried forward to the next 2-year license term.

Course Repetition Rules

Credit will NOT be given for a course (including those approved to meet the ethics requirement) that is repeated within a 2 year period. Ordering courses with the same course title is considered course repetition.

Certificate of Completion

AOIS provides online, printable certificates of completion in Kansas. Certificates of completion will be available to print online immediately after the final exam is passed. The producer must keep a copy of each certificate of completion in his or her files for 4 years.

CE Completion Reporting

Next-day reporting – AOIS reports course completions every business day to State Based Systems (SBS).

*Agents who fail to have the required CE credit hours posted prior to their license expiration date will have their insurance license(s) revoked. Providers have 30 days to report your CE completions, so please plan accordingly to avoid a lapse in licensure.

License Renewal Process

Producers can renew their licenses online here.

Helpful Links:
Kansas Insurance Department Contact Info

Phone: 785-296-3071

Email: commissioner@ksinsurance.org

Mailing Address:

Kansas Insurance Department

420 SW 9th St.
Topeka, KS 66612

We’ve got you covered

How often does AOIS report Kansas Insurance CE course completions?

We report completed courses every business day.

No need to worry about compliance

Our online courses are quick and easy, and entirely online. And if you miss something, we catch it. Betty, our Office “Captain,” is known for her attention to detail. If you miss a specific requirement or course, she catches it and makes sure that you have what you need.